We have so many options available to us today when it comes to building a website. From DIY platforms like Squarespace, Weebly, and Wix to professionally-built and completely custom sites, navigating all of the possibilities can be overwhelming. Not to mention the fact that innovative technological advances are being made constantly, so what may have been true last year – or even last month – may not be true today.
No matter which option you choose for moving forward with your website, here are 5 important things to consider:
- Security, Security, Security: We can’t stress this one enough. When choosing your hosting company (if applicable), always find out what the processes and procedures are for backing up and updating your site regularly, and what their process is if anything goes wrong – like if you get hacked, or your website goes down for any reason.
- Design: It’s important to make sure that whoever is responsible for designing the layout of your site has good graphic design skills as well as a good feel for user experience. It’s important that they are well versed on the latest trends as well as your company’s specific branding.
- Content: Who will be in charge of creating content for your website? You may know your business inside and out, but often it’s helpful to bring someone in who has experience translating your unique offerings into content that’s engaging and will result in sales.
- Call to Action: This should be included in the design of your site, but it’s important enough to mention on its own. You can have the best product or service in the world, but unless your website makes it crystal clear how a visitor can buy from you as soon as they land on your site, you may miss opportunities.
- Responsiveness: This is less of a concern with new sites, as most DIY platforms include responsiveness, and only the most inexperienced developer would build a site that isn’t responsive to different screen sizes these days. But this, too, is important enough to mention, since an unresponsive site will have undesirable consequences, such as hurting your search engine rankings.
We hope this list has been helpful for you. If, however, it’s left you more overwhelmed than before, we’re always here to answer your questions. We are a one-stop-shop that can cover everything mentioned here, and much more. Call us today. 202-409-8113